Sunday, January 3, 2016

REVIEW: Asylum By Madeleine Roux - 2 STARS

REVIEW: ASYLUM BY MADELEINE ROUX

Series: Asylum #1
Published By: Harper Teen
Genres: Horror, Young Adult, Paranormal
Pages: 310


SYNOPSIS (from Goodreads):
       
Asylum is a thrilling and creepy photo-novel perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

For sixteen-year-old Dan Crawford, New Hampshire College Prep is more than a summer program—it's a lifeline. An outcast at his high school, Dan is excited to finally make some friends in his last summer before college. But when he arrives at the program, Dan learns that his dorm for the summer used to be a sanatorium, more commonly known as an asylum. And not just any asylum—a last resort for the criminally insane.

As Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, explore the hidden recesses of their creepy summer home, they soon discover it's no coincidence that the three of them ended up here. Because the asylum holds the key to a terrifying past. And there are some secrets that refuse to stay buried.

Featuring found photos of unsettling history and real abandoned asylums and filled with chilling mystery and page-turning suspense, Madeleine Roux's teen debut, Asylum, is a horror story that treads the line between genius and insanity.

MY THOUGHTS:


         Before reading this book, I had pretty high expectations. I heard various people say that this book was pretty spooky and was a great book overall. I am a HUGE horror movie fan! Even though I'm that one person who hides under the covers, screams at every jump scare, and is freaking out before anything has even happened (you just know somethings about to happen XD). So, going into the book I was prepared to be terrified out of my mind. However, the biggest emotion I felt while reading this was probably boredom. I had a hard time just sitting down for a long period of time and trying to finish it.  

        The book went relatively slow but went too fast towards the end. The beginning was the slowest. It wasn't spooky much at all during the book until the end. The end might actually been my favorite part of the book for it was actually spooky. I had goosebumps! I wished it slowed down in the ending and had a little more happen.

I think overall this book could of been very promising. The idea was great but I feel like it was just poorly executed. The question is, would I recommend it? Yes and no. I didn't hate it but, I didn't love it. Some people actually really love this book and think it was amazing. It didn't just work for me. If you want to read this book I say go for it. But, don't set your expectations too high.


RATING:    2 STARS

This book was also part of my Color Coded Challenge. I counted this as the Black slot. Go to my Challenges Tab to see more about this.

Did you read this book? What were your thoughts? I would really like to see others opinions on this.

Thanks for reading!! :3


If you would like to see more of my reviews, make sure to follow on Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment