Sunday, January 17, 2016

REVIEW: The Wrath and the Dawn By Renee Ahdieh

REVIEW: The Wrath and the Dawn By Renee Ahdieh

Published By: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult
Pages: 388 pages


Synopsis (from Goodreads)

One Life to One Dawn.

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

Inspired by A Thousand and One Nights, The Wrath and the Dawn is a sumptuous and enthralling read from beginning to end.

My Thoughts

This book is phenomenal!!! It is just mind blowing! I have only read 5 books so far this year but this so far it is my favorite and the best of them. If you have yet to read this book, I highly recommend that you read it. Even if it isn't really the genre you may go for or what ever reason you may not want to read it, I urge you to read it. You won't regret it.

This story is about a girl, Shazi, who decides after her best friend dies in the hands of their ruler, Khalid, that she is going to seek revenge.  Every dawn after marrying a new bride, she dies. This isn't the first time a girl has died in the mysterious, and dangerous ruler's hands. Shazi wants to make sure it was his last. She volunteers to be his next bride, and has to make sure she lives to dawn. This story follows Shazi and her everyday struggles to just wake up the next morning. Not only does she have to make sure she survives, seek revenge, but also fight her feeling for her "murderous newlywed, Khalid.

The way Renee creates and develops her characters is amazing! My favorite characters would have to be Despina, and Shazi. I love how strong these girls were. Every time Shazi spoke, you could feel the strength and knowledge she held (if that makes sense). Despina, and definitely Shazi wasn't going let any man determine their fate and tell them what to do. Shazi was one of those of people who if you touch her she is going to break your arm and make you sorry for even living. Ugh, I love her!

This book is in multiple point of views. As much as I love my many pov's, I actually for the first time ever in a book, just wanted to hear from the main character's perspective. Also, Tariq's pov kind of annoyed me... I just wanted him to honestly leave.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. I'm not a hundred percent sure that if the next one is even out yet, but I can't wait!

Have you read this book? What were your thoughts? I'd love to see others opinions on this!
This book was also part of my Color Coded Challenge. I now have filled the Red Slot! Go to my Challenges Tab to see more of my challenges.

Did you like this review? If you would like to see more reviews from me in the future, make sure to follow on Bloglovin!

RATING: 5 STARS




No comments:

Post a Comment